A new economic system for free software programmers, contributors to crowdsourced projects, volunteers, ... and everybody else, who use the goods and services made in NEO.
How it works...
- Work on any projects of your choosing, including the ones you come up with yourself,
- report your work hours to Rovas - the application enabling participation in NEO,
- Rovas will create and reserve for you 10 Chrons () for every reported hour,
- after two other, system-selected economy participants verify your report, the Chrons are released from reserve for you to use,
- make your product available either for a fixed price or a voluntarily chosen amount,
- if purchased, the buyer pays for the product to Rovas,
- Rovas will grant you the reputation reward - a number of Merits (), equal to the amount paid,
- Rovas destroys the Chrons paid for the purchase,
- use your Chrons to pay for stuff made in NEO or exchange them for other currency.
- Today, the amount of effort invested into production of pubic goods (Wikipedia, Linux, OpenStreetMap and other projects) is often unknown to the population. Consequently, people do not feel obliged to reciprocate, and even if they do, there is no easy way to do so. NEO rectifies this problem by providing a mechanism for rewarding the creators with own pro-social work, or by purchasing Chrons that can be used as a reward.
- Every year, one billion people globally volunteer their time and work on society-benefiting projects, generating more than a trillion USD in economic value in the process. NEO allows capturing that value for rewards to the creators.
Please note. The video is slightly out of sync with reality, as it reflects the beta 1 functionality of the app. See the release notes for Beta 2 for description of the changes made.